Escape of water is the most common reason why insurance claims are paid. The sooner the problem is found the better.
- Check radiator valves regularly for leaks.
- Check insulation and lagging on your water pipes and tanks including those outside or in your loft.
- Check where your water stop tap is so you can switch the water off in an emergency.
- Keep your central heating on low if you go on holiday during the winter months (generally this would mean October – February).
- You can also keep your loft hatch open so warm air can get to your pipes.
- If you do want to leave your heating off, you should drain your central heating system and switch off the water supply at the mains.
- Check the fitting and working order of your washing appliances.
- Check your overflows on toilets, water tanks and central heating header tanks regularly.